Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer J.O.B.

I don't do well with having nothing to do.

The first two days I got back from Utah I laid around my house and read. I didn't leave the house, I didn't clean, I didn't accomplish anything. I didn't even get dressed.

My wonderful husband was kind enough to point out that this is...not good. In his gentle way he said, "Honey, you're not going to lay around all summer are you? Because you know you get all depressed and junk when you don't have anything to do. Maybe you should get a job." He is so kind.

So, maybe I will get a summer job. There are a couple of problems with this scenario.

First: to my knowledge, there are not many jobs out there (something to do with the economy, or something...I don't know...). So that might pose a challenge.

Second: I don't know what I want to do.

I don't want to wait tables (I've never done that before, and don't want to start now).

When we were seeing Star Trek the other day I thought about working in a movie theater. Free popcorn and movies, awesome! But then Dan said that I probably would have to do ALL the theater jobs, like cleaning the theaters and getting peoples' soda and popcorn, instead of JUST taking peoples' tickets, like I wanted to do. Plus, they would probably make me wear that stupid uniform. No thanks, that's why I went to college, thankyouverymuch.

I could probably go work at a tutoring center or one of those summer programs for kids places. But, if I'm being honest, the prospect of working with kids during the SUMMER sounds like about one step down from water-boarding on the torture scale.

I could probably get a job at my nail salon. But what would I do there? Give pedicures? Touch people's feet?! Eww! I don't think so.

My friend (a fellow teacher) applied at Hobby Lobby and I thought, "Cool! We could work there together!" I HEART Hobby Lobby! But they never called her back, so I guess they're not hiring.

Another problem is that, while part of me wants a job (It would be nice to have the extra money, and something to do), the other part of me doesn't want a job. Or, at least, I want the kind of job where I can not come in if I don't feel like it, or leave early if I have plans.

To summarize, here is my list of demands for my potential summer job:
1. No food. Yuck.
2. No cleaning up other people's messes. Yuck.
3. No uniforms. I am a free spirit. I can not be fettered by The Man's chains of oppression!
4. No kids. Aggh.
5. No touching people. Eeewww.
6. Flexible schedule (i.e. I can come and go as I please, but preferably get paid for working full time...).

As of now, I am J.O.B. less for the summer. Maybe that will change, maybe not.

Any ideas?

1 comment:

Sue Ann said...

Dare I say "Arbonne!" it fits all your requirements :o)

Welcome To Our Blog!!