Saturday, March 21, 2009

OUR NEW(ly painted) FURNITURE!!

Okay, so, here's the deal. I could probably count up the hundreds of dollars that Dan and I have spent on furniture since we've been married on one hand, with a few fingers left over...

We have been very lucky that:
a) we have inherited a lot of furniture from our parents, and
b) that we have rather eclectic taste in furniture (okay, at least I do...).

Many of the pieces we have purchased have come from thrift shops and Craig's List. :)

Here's the only problem with that: sometimes when you put it all together it doesn't match. Yes, I do realize that's sort of the point when it comes to eclectic styling, but at some point it's got to come together a little bit, right?!

So, after I had the conversation with Dan that began with him laughing at me and ended in him saying "No, we are not buying new furniture." I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Over winter break (that's the only time I can accomplish anything is over breaks) I decided that our bedroom furniture--which consists of 2 matching night stands from Walmart, 1 bed we inherited from Dan's grandma, and 1 dresser we inherited from my grandma--needed to match.

I don't have a before picture, but imagine four different pieces of furniture, three different types of wood. What better way to make them match than with paint! So we painted our bedroom furniture white. Here's how it turned out:


It was a lot of work! More than I thought it would be, but it was fun!

So, I guess you could say that I caught the fever (maybe from the paint fumes)...

This break, I decided that our mismatch of living room furniture--which consists of a coffee table, a tv table, a sofa table, a small entry way table, and a bookshelf...again, all different woods and colors--should also match.

So here's what I did over this break:

The T.V. table:



The coffee table:


The sofa table:



The bookshelf:



The entryway table:


Here's what it looks like all together (I realize that in this picture you can actually only see the coffee table-the rest are too spread out-but at least it gives an idea of what they look like all together) :



In the end, even if I couldn't buy NEW furniture, I at least feel like we have new furniture, even if it's just a new color.


P.S. The only problem came when the fur children decided that they wanted to help paint too. Here's them looking sad and depressed when I told them they couldn't help. I didn't use words so much as imprisonment:



P. P. S. I also found out that I LOVE distressing things! You can't mess up! It's perfect for me (cause I mess up a lot!!!).


2 comments:

Sue Ann said...

Everything looks very nice--even though it's "matchy-matchy"--sort of like Melanie would say. I like it. However, Lucy looks sad and depressed. Daisy, however just looks like she is asleep (maybe that points out more than one difference in their personality and intelligence levels)

C.B. said...

That looks amazing! I LOVE IT!

Welcome To Our Blog!!